October 07, 2013

OcSober - Week 1

Well, I made it! 7 whole days without so much as a sniff of a Brandy.  I don't drink Brandy, but that sounded a bit more flash than 'a suck of a black rat' (Bundaberg Rums cans are nicknamed Black Rats for those who are clearly not as classy as I).

I'm actually OK. Crisis averted. The images of me sneaking into an AA meeting in a hoodie and visor cap are slowly disintegrating and I think I may actually be able to go even longer than the month required for OcSober.

But on Day 6 I got struck down with a corker of a migraine. The whole shebang.  Loss of sight, unable to walk, neck and back feeling as though they were barely keeping my head up.  My first thought? "HOLY SHIT. I am ACTUALLY withdrawing from alcohol.  I'm a fucking alcoholic."  My 2nd thought?  "Don't be stupid. You know that the most of symptoms happen on Day 3 of withdrawal, and you also know your migraines are caused from muscles."  My 3rd thought? "I haven't had a migraine in ages. Maybe having a few drinks every few days keeps me relaxed enough to stop getting migraines."  My 4th thought? "HOLY SHIT. I'm a fucking alcoholic!"

On the downside, I have actually GAINED weight? Are you kidding me body???  My husband and I decided to do this a) for the health benefits, because in case you hadn't read any of my other blogs, we are trying for a baby and b) the weight loss benefits, that would ultimately, help us in our quest for a baby.  Oh and also helping charities and all that shit....

So that's a bummer. I'm really not sleeping any better either which I thought would be the first thing to happen.  Buuuut, I did go and have a blood test today (checking Prolactin levels, my last one in May was elevated. So yay for maybe having a pituitary tumour as well as PCOS!!) and I didn't have to worry about the results being 'not so accurate' because I'd had a 6 pack the night before.  So I guess that's a plus!

So all in all, this week has proved a couple of things to me:
1. I am not an alcoholic, I'm clearly a binge drinker. Difference ok guys?
2. My weight gain is not from alcohol and is most likely from the hormonal freakshow going on inside my body.
AND
3. My husband is a gem when I'm sick, and clearly loves being needed.  Needed to text people for me, get me pain killers, heat my heat pack and rub my back when i'm feeling sorry for myself.  Dah, I also just realised I missed out on a killer opportunity for him to sing 'Soft Kitty' to me! Dammit....

And again, if you don't think you could do the OcSober challenge and your drinking is harming yourself, others here's the ATODs link.
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/atod/


No comments:

Post a Comment