October 01, 2013

Ocsober.

So I've signed up to do Ocsober.  Granted, I signed up today on the 1st October, and I may have been hungover when I did it, but I did it.

Here's the thing, I love Bundy Rum.  Like a lot.  Like more than friend love.  I drink a 6 pack on my days off, about once a week, and sometimes I will drink more than that if I have a few days off and am feeling particularly happy/sad/depressed/excited/good about myself/bad about myself.

Yes, I do know that this is binge drinking. Yes, I do know that's not healthy. Yes, I am a nurse and realise what a hypocrite I am. No it has never affected my job and I do not drink when I have to work. Yes, I do probably do it to self medicate because for a good few hours I forget about the world's problems, and how stressful my job is, and how I'm not pregnant AGAIN. Yes, I have at times considered if i'm an alcoholic - a highly functioning one, but an alcoholic nonetheless.

So I not only want to to do this, for my health I NEED to do it. But I have very little confidence in myself. I am also a Jew (not just metaphorically, LITERALLY like 1/4 Jew on my Dad's side) so I'm hoping that the option of having to buy a $50 pass will turn me off having a drink. This will be the only option, because my guilt of having a 'sneaky' drink will eat my up from the inside out and I'm pretty sure it will make my breasts turn gangrenous and fall off and my cat will eat them while i'm sleeping.

So, tips on how to survive a dry month?  Aside from the obvious - signing up with a friend.  Already done. My husband didn't have a choice.  Well he did, he had a choice.  Sign up with me or he'd also be having a 'dry month', but not in the alcohol way. ;)

Oh and obligatory, if you or anyone you know struggles with alcohol addiction head on over here:
http://www.health.qld.gov.au/atod/

No comments:

Post a Comment